With the increasing size of the European PV market, the security of the module supply and other equipment, the sustainability of products and processes as well as fairness for citizens and employees are becoming increasingly important. In light of this dynamic, pv magazine's Roundtables Europe Sustainability and Made in Europe session examined European PV production, from polysilicon to cells and modules. The discussion included how to build a competitive European manufacturing industry, with an emphasis on political, financial and technological issues. If you missed the session, watch the video now.
June 24, 2021
Jenny Chase, Head of Solar Analysis, BloombergNEF, and Matthew King, Manager, Global Commercial Operations, Belectric attended a panel discussion on the reasons for Made in Europe PV.
Image: pv magazine / Stefanie Loos
The third cornerstone of PV magazines Roundtables Europe event with a focus on sustainability and Made in Europe PV. Sustainability issues are a natural part of the discussion about solar production on the continent. Proponents point out that infrastructures and processes for shipping emissions and recycling are available in Europe, but this may not be the case in Asia's manufacturing centers. Therefore, we have looked at projects that support the circular economy in the solar sector and what it means to have a truly sustainable PV production.
Round table video content
- 4:44 minutes: Presentation – Dangers of the European Green Deal by Sven Giegold, MEP, European Parliament
- 21:53 minutes: Panel discussion – What are the reasons for PV Made in Europe? With Jenny Chase, Head of Solar Analysis, BloombergNEF; Naomi Chevillard, Senior Policy Advisor, SolarPower Europe; Matthew King, Manager, Global Commercial Operations, Belectric; and Johan Lindahl, Secretary General, ESMC European Solar Manufacturing Council
- 49:19 minutes: Presentation – European PV production ambitions realized by Gunter Erfurt, Chief Executive Officer, Meyer Burger
- 1:01:24 minutes: Presentation – GW-scale production systems for high-efficiency cells by Sebastian Gatz, Vice President Photovoltaics, Von Ardenne
- 1:11:58 minutes: Panel discussion – How can PV production Made in Europe be competitive? With Alex Barrows, Director of Research, Exawatt; Vartan Oskanian, Advisor to the CEO, Recom; Laura Sartore, CEO, ECOPROGETTI SRL; and Edurne Zoco, Executive Director Clean Energy Technology, IHS Markit
- 1:43:40 minutes: Presentation – Circular Economy for Key PV Module Materials by Michele Vannini, Business Manager, Coveme
- 1:55:53 minutes: Fireside chat – decarbonizing supply chains and ways to more transparency with Lubomila Jordanova, co-founder and CEO of Plan A.
The first two Cornerstone sessions on Maintaining PV Quality While Keeping Technological Development Fast and Financial, Contractual, and Technical Perspectives in the PV Industry are already available, while the last, Innovation Hub, will be available on April 28th.
In total, more than 1,500 participants from all corners of the world heard our expert speakers discuss a number of important solar topics from the areas of quality, asset management, sustainability and innovation. In addition to the videos, take a look at our live coverage and our photo gallery.
In addition to our participants and experts, we would also like to thank our sponsors who helped to make this event (virtually) a reality!
This content is protected by copyright and may not be used any further. If you would like to work with us and reuse some of our content, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.